cgi-bin question

beckdove

I have access to a shared web host. The website installed there uses \[code\]exec()\[/code\]. About 4 months ago the function was enabled, but now they have put it on the \[code\]disable_functions\[/code\] list. They put \[code\]exec\[/code\], \[code\]passthru\[/code\] and \[code\]shell_exec\[/code\] on that list but they forgot to put \[code\]system\[/code\]:) This makes me think that the server admin is not very aware on what he's doing. Anyway, they now say that those functions should have never be enabled and they wont re-enable them.The installed website uses \[code\]exec()\[/code\] to start some php scripts that would do some background work. Right now i'm looking to see if there is any other "legal" way to start those php scripts in background(i expect \[code\]system()\[/code\] to work, but maybe they will disable it in the future also).And now my simple question:In the perdefined file structure i see a cgi-bin folder. Whats its use? From what i read on the web it is used to generate "dynamic" pages when accessed through the browser, but the server has php anyway installed, so i dont see its use.

Back