Can't use border with tables in Netscape?

I have a table with a black border on my site, but in Netscape 4.x it doesn't show up. I don't think Netscape supports this property with tables. So what is a workaround? Any suggestions?<!--content-->Netscape does support the border attribute as far as I know, just check that you have quotes (") around the number i.e. border="1". If it still won't work, please post some of your code so that we can see if anything else is causing the border not to show.<br />
<br />
Thanks.<!--content-->Try adding this to your TABLE tag...<br />
<br />
style="border: 2px solid #000000;"<!--content-->The only way to change the color of borders in Netscape is to use CSS. If you are using bordercolor="somecolor" bordercolorlight="somecolor" bordercolordark="somecolor", then it will not work. That code only works in IE.<br />
<br />
I may or may not be wrong on the bordercolor one, but the best way to do it is to use CSS.<!--content-->no no no :D everyone says use css is the only way...when NS doesn't except most css attributes. to get it to work in NS you have to use 2 tables.<br />
<br />
bordercolors work in netscape. you just have to make a table inside a table. somehting like this.<br />
<br />
<table width="100%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="20" bordercolor="#0066cc"><br />
<tr><td><br />
<table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><br />
<tr><td>something special</td><br />
</tr></table><br />
<br />
</td></tr></table><br />
<br />
almost the same code Yahoo uses. to see it in action, goto my site Snippet Library (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.snippetlibrary.com">http://www.snippetlibrary.com</a><!-- m -->) and see it work. goto the snippet page find the blue border. :D<!--content-->Just another way I usually do it.:)<br />
<br />
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#0066cc"><br />
<tr><td><br />
<table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#efefef"><br />
</tr></table><br />
</td></tr></table><!--content-->It seems to me that while it *can* be done in HTML, it is so much easier to do in CSS.<br />
<br />
I'd use the style declaration. . . <br />
<br />
-beth<!--content-->Originally posted by scoutt <br />
no no no :D everyone says use css is the only way...when NS doesn't except most css attributes. to get it to work in NS you have to use 2 tables.<br />
<br />
bordercolors work in netscape. you just have to make a table inside a table. somehting like this.<br />
<br />
<table width="100%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="20" bordercolor="#0066cc"><br />
<tr><td><br />
<table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><br />
</tr></table><br />
<br />
</td></tr></table><br />
<br />
almost the same code Yahoo uses. to see it in action, goto my site Snippet Library (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.snippetlibrary.com">http://www.snippetlibrary.com</a><!-- m -->) and see it work. goto the snippet page find the blue border. :D <br />
<br />
Scoutt, you are correct about using two tables. However, the first table needs to have a cellspacing of "1" and a black background. Make sure that it has border set to "0". This will creat a border, using the background color, around the nested table.<br />
<br />
Caser, if you'd like an example of this, I can post it here.<!--content-->nope, that is the exact code I use on my site. it works beautifully ;)<br />
<br />
Beth the only problem you might get out of using the style attribute is NS4.x doesn't like it sometimes. I tried that first time and never got it to work. then again I did have a lot more attributes in that style. :P<!--content-->Scoutt<br />
<br />
You're right -- and I wish NS would standardize more. :( As a proofing tool, I love it becuase it doesn't read crap code the way IE does -- but it's harder to design for NS.<br />
<br />
Most of the time I design knowing that there will be certain nice effects that just wont be visible in NS -- the border style does degrade gracefully though provided you have your border declaration correct in your tag.<br />
<br />
-beth<!--content-->I totally agree with you on that one. if it works in NS you know damn well it will work in IE. I also agree that they should standardize it more but not having the look and feel of NS6.<!--content-->I took NS6 off my computer completely opting for earlier versions. I design and proof with NS4.74 -- then add a few bells and whistles for IE that way I know my code is clean and degrades gracefully.<br />
<br />
Can't stand NS6<br />
<br />
-beth<!--content-->Gosh I feel ignored? :) What was the problem with my earlier post of:<br />
<br />
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#0066cc"> <br />
<tr><td> <br />
<table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#efefef"> <br />
<tr><td>something special</td> <br />
</tr></table> <br />
</td></tr></table><br />
Tested with NS4 and it does the trick.<!--content-->I didn't comment because it works . . .<br />
<br />
I have a more convoluted way to accomplish the same thing using nested tables, but yours is more elegant.<br />
<br />
:)<br />
<br />
-beth<!--content-->Set cellspacing to "1" and see what happens.<!--content-->dont have time . . . what happens?<br />
<br />
-b<!--content-->Thanks beth,<br />
<br />
I no longer feel ignored :D<!--content-->feeling ignored is no fun.<br />
:)<!--content-->It should give you the border you're looking for on older browsers.<!--content-->Originally posted by kc <br />
Gosh I feel ignored? :) What was the problem with my earlier post of:<br />
<br />
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#0066cc"> <br />
<tr><td> <br />
<table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#efefef"> <br />
<tr><td>something special</td> <br />
</tr></table> <br />
</td></tr></table><br />
Tested with NS4 and it does the trick. <br />
KC, sorry that is a good way but all your doing is making the background of the big table one color and the background of the smaller table another color so it over-laps the big one and you get a border. if people want colored tables then yes that will work, but my way lets the user have a white background and any color border they want.<!--content-->Hi scoutt,<br />
<br />
Not sure what your sayingif people want colored tables then yes that will work, but my way lets the user have a white background and any color border they wantThe border color can be changed in the first table, as can the size of the border according to the cellpadding. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your saying. However when I look at at your code in NS4, I get very little color on the right side border and no color on the bottom border?<!--content-->all I was saying was you made the background of the first table one color and then made the second back ground another color just smaller the first one. although that is a good way you have colored backgrounds. take the inner table color out and you will see the background of the first table.<br />
<br />
mine uses bordercolor adn the backgrounds are all white. plus you can make teh backgound anycolor you want without messing with the border color.<br />
<br />
but you could do it your way so it shouldn't matter what way you do it. I just never thought of doing it that way. the only difference in my way is the border colors differ in NS as oppose to IE. so it seems your way may be better ;)<!--content-->Cool! Got what your saying:D<br />
Not a big fan of NS myself anyhow.<br />
Bookmarked your snippetlibrary site. <br />
<br />
Thanks<!--content-->Thanks for all of the replies guys! That did the trick.<br />
<br />
Casey<!--content-->

Back