Can XML do this?

webmasterbeta

I have been running a flat HTML site that mimics a database. It does this by having about 30 HTML pages with flat data, eg telephone numbers and addresses. And the user can define which data they see by using several pages drop down menu by drop down menu.

When I set this up it was approx 1000 html pages :( (a bit of a headache to build and even worse to update)

The reason for doing this was that the company I work for do not own the servers that the corporate intranet is hosted on and charges are made by file and; any scripting/server side projects are supposed to be built by their consultants at a large cost.:eek:

The raw data for this project comes in Excel format.

I would like to find a way of automating the processing of the Excel files to speed up updates. Whilst still not employing any technologies on the server like mySQL.

Speaking to a colleague they mentioned that XML may offer a way of doing this. I must confess I am a newbie to XML but would like to know if anyone knows a way of doing this or can point me in the direction of anywhere to get advice on this.

TIA

Back