Can someone give me a basic layout please?

liunx

How can I find out if people are hotlinking pages/images off my site???<br />
<br />
and....<br />
<br />
Is there a way to prevent hotlinking other than creating an .htaccess file??<!--content-->You can see if someone is hotlinking by doing a search at google. Put your web address in as the search term and click search. If no results then choose the option search for results that link to you or contain the term.<br />
<br />
This isn't really my area of expertise but thats a starter.<!--content-->OK, Thank you. :) I'll try that.<!--content-->Some webmasters simply change the names of their files on a regular basis. So if someone is hot linking, they'll end up with a dead link.<br />
Not very practical if you have a large site, but I suppose it can work if you have a small site and don't have access to the .htaccess file.<!--content-->Yeah.... I do not have my own domain (I'm being hosted), and I have no clue where the .htaccess file would be... I created custom error pages, but the little tutorial my host has up doesn't say to save them in an .htaccess, but rather as a .shtml file... so yeah... I think I may just change my links around a little... I ran a google search like that person suggested above, and I came up w/ nothing... but when I checked my site stats where it says 'Top 44 of 44 Total Referrers' I have 3 pages that have between 700 and 1300 'hits' but the index file for the area of the site those files are in has only had approx 70 to 120 hits.... so it got me to thinking that maybe someone was hotlinking those 3 html pages....<br />
<br />
Oh well... Thanks for all of your help.<!--content-->how can you hotlink an html file? a image and a zip can be but how can a html page be hotlinked?<br />
<br />
if somebody called you page into their site them it is loading your site,not theirs.<br />
<br />
but yeah the sure fire way is to use .htaccess file if you can.<!--content-->If you were though, being hosted, how would you prevent it through the .htaccess ?<!--content-->I didn't know what to call it, so that's why I said hotlinked. But yeah, I meant like someone else loading my page through their site, or direct linking to specific pages on my site from a Message Board or something.<br />
<br />
I think maybe I'll contact my host and see what he has to say.<br />
<br />
Sorry for confusing you guys.<br />
Thanks.<!--content-->you can't avoid that. it is the same as someone linking to you. that is a good thing don't you think?<br />
<br />
Jac83188, for that it is<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.snippetlibrary.com/tutorials.php?kid=89&catname=Copy%20Protection">http://www.snippetlibrary.com/tutorials ... Protection</a><!-- m --><!--content-->thanks scoutt<!--content-->

Back