can jelsoft take offline a domain name?

ungovernable

well i know jelsoft can manage to turn offline some domain names even if you buy it (like .TK domain) but.... what about top level domains?

i'm starting a new site... it's hosted somewhere safe on a dedicated server where they don't care about illegal vbulletin.... so no problem this side

But what about my domain name? Can jelsoft take it out? It is a top-level .NET domain i bought on goDaddy and it is still parked there.

Can jelsoft write to godaddy/icann/whatever and request to desactivate the concerned domain name? Is there a way to prevent this? Should i transfer my domain name to a safer place (what would you suggest me) ?

thanks a lot :)

SpeedRazors said:
as far as i know they only send you an email to remove the forum, in my opinion they cannot take your domainname

Excatly, you will recieve an e-mail from them as a warning to take it down, if you do it again, they will probably report to the host to suspend.

ungovernable

Nha if they write to me i will just ignore them, like i said my webhost is one of my personal friends, he has a dedicated server and I already told him i don't have a license ;)

I'm just worried about my domain name. If they shut down the domain name then i'll have to get another, and i will loose a lot of traffic / page ranks.

Is GoDaddy a safe place?

Where is vbteam.info parking its domain name?

ungovernable said:
Is GoDaddy a safe place?

Godaddy is "the worst" registrar possible for this sort of thing, sending spam emails and illegal content. They don't actually take your domain, they usually change your nameserver to one of their parking ones and lock it until disputes are resolved.

They don't actively monitor domains, but if they receive complaints they often take action. Transfer to NameCheap.com

ungovernable

sweety said:
Godaddy is "the worst" registrar possible for this sort of thing, sending spam emails and illegal content. They don't actually take your domain, they usually change your nameserver to one of their parking ones and lock it until disputes are resolved.

They don't actively monitor domains, but if they receive complaints they often take action. Transfer to NameCheap.com

shit, so if jelsoft writes to godaddy i'm fucked ?

is it sure i will be safe if i transfer it to namecheap.com ?

Hoxxy

If your being hosted somewhere safe on a dedicated server then just see if its possible to transfer to them :D

Controller

The thing is, they can. They can release software with a backdoor shutdown giving them access to all vbulletin forums. Nulled and officials. But that would be illigal.
They can't take down your domainname, but they can contact your webhost. The webhost will get fined if they refuse to take your website down.

ungovernable

Hoxxy said:
If your being hosted somewhere safe on a dedicated server then just see if its possible to transfer to them :D
will it cost me money?

They can't take down your domainname
are you sure of that?

They can't take down your domainname, but they can contact your webhost. The webhost will get fined if they refuse to take your website down.
My webhost absoulutly don't care... Maybe they could write to the datacenter where the server is hosted, if they can ever find it, then i dont know what would happen....

Transformer

ungovernable said:
shit, so if jelsoft writes to godaddy i'm fucked ?

is it sure i will be safe if i transfer it to namecheap.com ?
Don't go for godaddy. I think vbteam.info is the victim. Now this domain is banned.

A domain company can ban your domain name if they respond to vbulletin complaints.

So you should find any domain registrar or reseller which don't care, ie find a company which is based in countries without strict copyright laws (eg China, Russia).

EstDomains.com seems to suit this purpose. This domain registrar is known to have customers who spam, phish, hijack or spread malware. But it's unwise to host website with them. Their IP ranges are usually banned by anti-spyware or third-party sites.

ungovernable

HAHAHA well with the recent domain of vbteam being disabled i guess i got the answer of my question... :p

well actually we dont know if it has been taken down because of the nulled board of because of the hacks vbteam is distributing... probably both lol

So you should find any domain registrar or reseller which don't care, ie find a company which is based in countries without strict copyright laws (eg China, Russia).

EstDomains.com seems to suit this purpose. This domain registrar is known to have customers who spam, phish, hijack or spread malware. But it's unwise to host website with them. Their IP ranges are usually banned by anti-spyware or third-party sites.
I think Cronon AG would be the ideal choice. I will probably soon transfer my domain to them. I wrote to them making up a scenario saying there is a nulled VB on a domain registered with them, and asking them what they would do in situations like this..... they told me they have no contact with any of their client, and to write to the owner of the domain

GYSN.org is also registered there... so i guess it's the safest place!!

why not get a new domain for vbteam with them?

Gh0st

I don't think they can possibly take your/anyone's domain offline. But they may write to the hoster to take down your website which is using nulled software. Just try and make sure Jelsoft never access your website, prevent newbies advertising your forum on the vBulletin community, this could be the only way to do that. =P

You can also just get the actual vBulletin, making it impossible for Jelsoft taking your forum down.

Well anyways, good luck.

Silent_Sinker

I just say make a robots.txt for your site that has

Code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /forum/

This means if Jelsoft goes around looking up "Powered by Jelsoft" and other crap that would be on their software it won't be found no matter what.

I did that, and so far 5-months in, no e-mails from Jelsoft or my webhost.

This only pertains to you if you are using your site for more than just a forum.