Can I put some XML data is a HTML page?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
What I have to do probably sounds pretty strange. It seems I am always asked to do some really bizare stuff in ASP that isn't always possible.

Anyway, here's a little rundown on what I am doing:

The network file backup program goes through folders and backs up all the files that havn't been accessed in a certain time, ect. When it does, it creates what we call a tag file that contains all the info on the files that were backed up from that folder. The tag file is going to be a HTML file, and the idea is that when the user opens it, a link wil lbe displayed (or they will be automaticly redirected, but I don't think that will be possible cause the HTML page won't actually be uploaded onto the net, it's just opening locally.) So the user clicks on the link, and that takes them to an asp page that lists all the files that were backed up, so they can choose which ones they would like to recover.

I was thinking it would be great if I could just populate the datagrid from XML data, but the page has to have a link in it, so either I need to be able to create a hyperlink in XML, or see if I can put XML data in the HTML page, and I has not been able to find if either of these things is possible.

Otherwise I'm going to just have to read the HTML file line by line to get the info... Which will mean a nice confusing loopnig algorythim for both the page that reads the data and the one that creates it.

Am I on the total wrong track here??