Can an html form capture computer name and user name?

I'm doing a help form for users in my office, which will basically be an html form that gets submitted to the "suppport" email address. I'd like to have a couple of the fields auto-populate with the computer name and the name of the person logged in to the computer. We use roaming profiles, so the log in name will be whomever is asking the question.<br />
<br />
Any ideas?<!--content-->I don't know if its possible to get the actual name of the computer but you can i believe get the ip address.<!--content-->Thanks for the idea. I think I'll just make the computer name and user name required fields. They'll get the idea. ;-)<br />
<br />
cheers,<br />
Jason<!--content-->i think asp.net can<!--content-->Thanks The Cheat, I hadn't thought of that. Should I post this in the ASP forum?<!--content-->Yeppers, they know bunches there. I recall reading a thread about how ASP can capture the Windows login username for intranets. Unsure if it's ASP classic or ASP.net though. Anywho, they should know more about it.<!--content-->asp.net cannot do so. Not without activeX or something. It is a major security nono. Its not possible from any client side or server side scripting. The only possible ways would be with activex or an applet. An IP will not work either, as ips are not static, they can be changed. You best bet would be storeing the login in a cookie, that is of course the browser does not fill in the feilds automatically.<!--content-->If your office is running Windows PCs and you authenticate the form against the same domain the users log into the network with then you can obtain their domain login name with server-side scripting. You will also have their IP address, which you should be able to resolve for hostname. This can be done with either IIS or with Apache running modntlm; obviously much easier with the former.<br />
<br />
This is only valid in a controlled environment like a company backbone, not on the Internet in general.<!--content-->woops I did not see that it is just in the office.<!--content-->We're in a windows server 2003 environment - will that still work? Assuming it does, I guess I'm not sure how to do this. Where does the form need to sit? Can it sit on our website?<br />
<br />
Thanks for your patience, I'm just a php guy... my life was so simple...<br />
<br />
lol<!--content-->I can't quote the w2003 details but the general technique is to tell IIS the page requires authentication and the user must be a user in your company domain. I believe I've gotten it to work with Basic auth but it may require NT Challenge be turned on. This is done in the Internet Services Mangager.<!--content-->

Back