Caching Issue

liunx

Hi,<br />
<br />
One of my sites has 165kb of images for the menu and other mandatory images that must load everytime a new page loads, as it is on every page.<br />
<br />
Yes, I am aware that 165k is a large (if not overkill) amount of mandatory imagery to load. It's the least amount I could get away with and not lose quality.<br />
<br />
Anyway, the problem is the 56k-er's viewing the site are complaining about the load time. Keep in mind that these people are regular viewers, so I know these files are still in their temp folders. <br />
<br />
I know there a code to tell the browser to reference these cached these files and not look for new files each time the page is viewed. Also, can the code be added directly to an individual file or must it be in reference to the entire page?<br />
<br />
Any questions/comments and suggestions are welcome. However, keep in mind that the mandatory imagery for the site is not going to change.<br />
<br />
Thank you,<br />
Gandalf<br />
:D<!--content-->As far as I know... with ref to html 4.01 the only way to tell a browser how to cache is with the meta tags.<br />
<br />
However... the image size can be reduced and I am pretty sure you can keep some if not most of the quality. What size is the image in px?<!--content-->

Back