Bullet points in select tags

liunx

Hi all,<br />
<br />
I've seen this on a few sites but have never figured out how to do it. I want to include bullet points within drop down menu select tags.....<br />
<br />
Example, to look like this:<br />
<br />
CATEGORY TITLE<br />
. Item 1<br />
. Item 2<br />
CATEGORY 2<br />
. Item 1<br />
. Item 2<br />
<br />
Where . = bullet point. Anyone know how it's done?<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
<br />
Jon<br />
<br />
P.S. I can't remember any of the url's for the sites I've seen with this, but the source code didn;t help me anyway.<!--content-->With out a link to what you have seen and (I'm sorry) your poor description of what you saw. But here is what I think you might mean.<br />
<br />
It may be a case of embedding the <UL> tags, somthing like this:<br />
<br />
<UL><br />
WW<LI>CATEGORY TITLE<br />
WWWW<UL><br />
WWWWWW<LI>Item 1<br />
WWWWWW<LI>Item 2<br />
WWWW</UL><br />
WW<LI>NEXT CATEGORY TITLE<br />
WWWW<UL><br />
WWWWWW<LI>Item 1<br />
WWWWWW<LI>Item 2<br />
WWWW</UL><br />
</UL><br />
<br />
Ok I hope that makes sense. If you copy and paste this code you will notice W's in white, this is to format the code for you to understand it all a bit better. If anyone knows the the vBcode for &nbsp; please let me know. So hoping you understand the use of <UL>'s (unordered lists) this will make sense. As a footnote, don't use the </li> tag. I consider it an illegal tag, W3 say it's optional and many browsers don't support it. I see no logical use for it at all. Again, I hope that helps you.<!--content-->Hi,<br />
<br />
Sorry for the poor description. I've only ever seen what I'm talking about once, and I can't remember where!<br />
<br />
I want to show bullet points within select tags.<br />
<br />
example... in the below:<br />
<br />
<br />
<form><br />
<select><br />
<option> CATEGORY 1<br />
<option> o Item 1<br />
<option> o Item 2<br />
<option> CATEGORY 2<br />
<option> o Item 3<br />
<option> o Item 4<br />
</select><br />
</form><br />
<br />
<br />
When the drop down menu is view in the browser 'o' would be bullet points......<br />
<br />
hope you understand now...<!--content-->you can't make ordered list in select tags. I don't believe<br />
<br />
what you have is the only way, unless you ahve a site that does it.<!--content-->scoutt - Sorry, it was actually an unordered list.<br />
<br />
I too thought it was impossible until I saw this site that had it. Annoying that I completely forgot where it is!<br />
<br />
When I viewed the source to try and find out how it was done there were black squares next to the bullet pointed items..... similar to those created in the place of breaks in notepad I think.<br />
<br />
Hmm... now I suppose I'm going to have to try to retrace my steps on finding this site, though I don;t fancy my chances!<br />
<br />
If anyone does know how to do this, still please post it!<!--content-->well ordered unordered same diff, :)<br />
<br />
did you try the entity of it, &bull; will creat this &bull;<!--content-->Use a character entity.<br />
The entity for a round bullet is &#149; so you'd say:<br />
<option>&nbsp;&#149;&nbsp;Item 1<br />
<br />
(I've added a few non-breaking spaces)<!--content-->You may want to try this from a different point of view.<br />
If you want a bullet point of some description then you could try and add some form of character entity to your description.<br />
<br />
so you could try this.<br />
<br />
<form><br />
<select><br />
<option> CATEGORY 1<br />
<option> ♥ Item 1<br />
<option> ♥ Item 2<br />
<option> CATEGORY 2<br />
<option> ♥ Item 3<br />
<option> ♥ Item 4<br />
</select><br />
</form><br />
<br />
would give you somthing like this I hope. <br />
<br />
CATEGORY 1<br />
♥Item 1<br />
♥Item 2<br />
CATEGORY 2<br />
♥Item 3<br />
♥Item 4<br />
<br />
<br />
As this is recognised as text it should work. You just need to choose your selected bullet type from the ISO HTML 4.0 list at:<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html">http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
Hope that works for you...<!--content-->You got there first... shuckssss.<!--content-->Thanks guys!<!--content-->

Back