Browser help

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, 2 things:<br />
<br />
1. Is there a way to force a browser to store an image in the cache- so it will load faster if you've already been to the page. Or do browsers automatically do this, unless you toggle it not to. (kinda funny my last post was forcing browsers to not load load the cookies/cache:rolleyes: :D)<br />
<br />
2. I'm using tranparency in one of my .GIF images- is having a transparent image compatible with all browsers? Is it recommended?<br />
<br />
Thank you for your time!<br />
<br />
Moderators Note<br />
<br />
Please do not crosspost.<br />
This thread is being merged with one in HTML section.<!--content-->Ok, 3 things:<br />
<br />
1. Is there a way to force a browser to store an image in the cache- so it will load faster if you've already been to the page. Or do browsers automatically do this, unless you toggle it not to. (kinda funny my last post was forcing browsers to not load load the cookies/cache:rolleyes: :D)<br />
<br />
2. I'm using tranparency in one of my .GIF images- is having a transparent image compatible with all browsers? Is it recommended?<br />
<br />
3. Would anyone know why when I save a .JPG file as the highest quality and is pretty big, it doesn't even display nice on a browser- I even uploaded a .BMP file, yet it looked just as bad. Something I'm doing wrong? I'm using Frontpage and Geocities (if that helps)<br />
<br />
Thank you for your time! (I posted this in the java forum, but by accident, so I'm posting this again, in the right spot):rolleyes:<!--content-->1) it stores it automatically<br />
<br />
2) I believe it's compatible with everything. <br />
<br />
3) What graphics software are you using?<!--content-->I'm using Adobe Photodeluxe Business Edition 1.0 and Adobe Photoshop 7.0<br />
<br />
Hope that helps<br />
<br />
Oh, and another thing,<br />
I might use a "Wide Palette GIF" file to make my images look nicer- would you recommend that? If you're not sure what it is, read below- sorry its long:<br />
<br />
The Wide Palette GIF function in GIF Construction Set's Edit menu will let you create GIF files which can display more than 256 colours.<br />
<br />
A GIF image can only store a maximum of 256 colours. However, a GIF file can store any number of images. If each image has its own local palette, it's possible to have more than 256 different colours stored in the file.<br />
This is what wide palette GIF files do. If the source image you wish to store in one has 510 distinct colours, GIF Construction Set will create a GIF file with two Image blocks. The first Image block will have a local palette with the first 255 colours of your source image in it. The second Image block will have a local palette with the second 255 colours from your source image. Each palette will also have one colour which does not appear anywhere in your source image, to be used as a transparent colour.<br />
<br />
In discussing wide palette GIF files, the Image blocks that your source image will be split into are called "panes".<br />
The actual images will be constructed such that those pixels of your source image which appeared in their palettes will appear in the images in question, and the transparent colour will appear everywhere else.<br />
When such a GIF file is displayed, the first Image block will take care of the first 255 colours, and the second Image block will take care of the second 255 colours. Because the "unused" pixels are transparent, the two frames will essentially be merged when the display is completely updated, with the result that 510 distinct colours will be displayed.<br />
<br />
In practical terms, a 24-bit source image must be "quantized" to derive a suitable list of colours, that is, a large palette must be derived from it based on the dispersal of source colours. The Wide Palette GIF function lets you select how large this palette can get.<br />
Wide palette GIF files allow you to enjoy lossless images having lots of colours in a format which is compatible with existing web browsers. However, they embody some important catches, as follows:<br />
Wide palette GIF files tend to get large, as they require that a single 24-bit image be split into multiple 256-colour images, each of which must be stored separately.<br />
<br />
While Netscape, Internet Explorer, Graphic Workshop and GIF Construction Set will display wide palette GIF files correctly, almost nothing else will. This includes most GIF viewers and paint packages.<!--content-->I personally prefer the png.<!--content-->FIRST of all, sorry to the moderator (cross-post) :( <br />
<br />
Second, .png files- are they supported on all browsers? They take a longer time to load, right?<!--content-->png files are supported by all browsers. They do not take much time to load. They are higher quality then a gif or jpeg but you can still make them semi transparent and do a lot of things you could do with a gif. It is also relativly low in size. These are the reasons it is very widely used today. I have even heard it described as the replacement of the gif one time...<!--content-->I've heard a rumor that png is mostly supported but not entirely - if you just use it with basic transparency I've always found it fine. Maybe it's the more complex semitransparency stuff that's unsupported.<br />
<br />
But they're great anyway!<!--content-->I looked into it, but I don't think its worth it- a part of my logo is 3.49KB in a tranparent GIF format- but a non-transparent PNG is 13 KB- I'd rather have some simpathy for the 28K people :p Well, thanks for the suggestions:D<!--content-->if you add transparency it gets smaller...<br />
<br />
also did you compress it at all?<!--content-->I would also say that a png is on average higher quality then a gif.<!--content-->I did not compress it (wow, that was short)<!--content-->

Back