browser detection, redirection

liunx

So.. my page isn't all that great or anything, but I do always try to keep things fairly simple so that it's easy to navigate/see for windows users as well as msntv users, b/c my traffic comes from both. The best way I know how to do that is to have one version in frames & the other with a sidebar for msntv users. This has always worked & kept people happy, but I noticed after I've submitted to search engines that usually since there's more text on the version with the sidebar, those seem to show up more often in search engines... so if I get traffic from there & a windows user looks at the page, it really looks bad, hard to read & navigate. I was wondering, I've looked up through different javascripts & etc & just can't seem to find what I think would work. Does anyone know of a script or anything where I can redirect, if a windows user clicks on those pages from a search engine.. to where it would detect their browser & redirect them to the frames side? I wouldn't want to put a pop-up box just checking each time the page is accessed, mainly because that would be really irritating for msntv users trying to navigate the site. And the only things I found that detected a browser, would only detect Netscape or Internet Explorer... msntv users actually have IE, so I would think that would redirect them also? And I hate to clutter up the site with a bunch of "if you're a Windows user, click here" etc. I would really appreciate any help, I hope that all made sense! Thanks <br />
:sunny:<!--content-->I have users that use webtv but I don't cater to them. they are few and far between as like Netscape users. personally I wouldn't worry about them. there is not that many people useing webtv or msntv. I have never had msntv user visit my site.<!--content-->Not intending to be rude here, but uhm... webtv doesn't exist anymore, msn bought them out, so the service is called msntv now... I actually know this b/c I do get alot of traffic from those users & keep in touch with alot of them. So really that didn't help much... I do want to cater to them b/c it seems so many other pages of the same subject are either full of flash or something that they can't view it, but my page they can & they appreciate that. I was just wondering if there was an easier way to keep Windows users to not click on the wrong entrance from a search engine & not be able to read the site. Obviously I'm not a know-it-all & need all the high tech toys, I understand some people can't afford that & if I can help em use what they have, then I don't have a problem with it like some...<!--content-->well I just had a user win webtv hit my site this month. so that is how I know. and notice I said user and not users :)<br />
<br />
as far as what you want I am not sure if javascript can detect that deep. but could be wrong. I know it gets the browser info butnot sure if there is command for it.<!--content-->

Back