<br>?

liunx

i have been looking through some of the other responses and queries in the forums, and came across this little tidbit -<br />
<br />
using more than one <br> tag in a sequence is ignored by some browsers<br />
<br />
I was wondering <br />
<br />
a) is this true?<br />
b) which browsers?<br />
c) what can i do if i want one or more line spaces between paragraphs?<!--content-->someone has been paying close attention to my posts :cool: <br />
<br />
Anyway... I'm not sure if I stated more than one but 3 in a row is not good. Here is my source:<br />
Generally, it's not wise to try and add more than three breaks... / &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /there are other methods to gain space, such as using <pre>, or preformatted text, tag; using tables for greater spatial control; employing the vspace attribute; and using Cascading Style Sheets for positioning.<br />
<br />
Using HTML 4, Sixth Edition.<br />
Molly E., 1999, Holzschlag, QUE Corporation, Indianapolis<br />
<br />
<br />
Also check out this link (sourced from WDG) to prove a point...<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/wilbur/special/br.html">http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/wilbu ... al/br.html</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
Anyway... that said and done. When I first start creating web pages while I was at uni in 95 these problems were apparent then on first and second generation browsers. Things have changed now. I was being perdantic I guess and a late night in making that post. I guess there is no serious use of repeating <br>'s but there are better ways of doing it as mention in the quote.<br />
<br />
So some of the older browsers see repeated <br>'s as white space. Who knows! with so many new browsers out there maybe newer ones do as well.<!--content-->hey - i got that book!<br />
<br />
guess that i have only really been trying to get the basics so far. (unfortunately, i do have to make some kind of useable output at work ;) )<br />
<br />
hopefully, i'll be getting to grips with the more subtle/advanced soon.<!--content-->

Back