bilingual website (eng/fr) links don't work

liunx

Need help with bilingual website, english/french. Some of my french internal hyperlinks are not working. Used MS front page to edit. I'm told it may have something to do with either the spaces in my file names and/or the french characters. Problem is - I have spaces in the english side and the links work fine, AND I have spaces in, and a french character in two out of three of my working french links. (Three of seven links in the french section are working). I can edit the hrefs if that's what I need to do.<br />
Appreciate it,<!--content-->Depending on your server (or rather its software used to host your site), spaces in filenames are not a good idea.<br />
I am not sure about the French characters, but it may be a character set problem. Have you a line like<br />
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> in the header ?<!--content-->the character set says 'windows-1252' Should I edit the text to change it to what you have? By the way, the web provider is WebServe Canada.<!--content-->You could try it, but I was more concerned in case you didn't have a charset defined at all as this sometimes causes strange problems.<!--content-->So how does one get around the problem of character spaces in filenames? Because I'm using MS Front Page as my editor, the filenames I choose end up showing as the links in the navigation structure. I tried putting underscores instead of spaces in the filenames that show up in the HTML text (rather than those that show up in the navigation structure) but it didn't do any good. I should mention that the problem in the links only showed up when I uploaded my site to the web server. It works fine in my editor. I have also specified the language in the French pages as being French.<br />
The server seems to use UNIX.<br />
<br />
Thanks for your help Gizmo!<!--content-->You could try substituting %20 for the space, that sometimes works, but surely you have control over the filenames that you use on your site? On mine, for example, they are case sensitive on the server, but not on my PC under Windows, so that's something I have to watch out for. Spaces are not always acceptable, as in your case.<!--content-->Thanks.<!--content-->I finally sorted it out - the problem occurs when any file is named that includes any character that has an accent on it (as in French) and any apostrophes in the name - e.g. I had d' in the name. I was wrong about any problem with the names showing up in the navigation structure - the page name in Front Page (FP) is not reflected in the names you give the pages in the navigation structure. Spaces are not problems because FP converts the HTML to %20 automatically.<!--content-->Great stuff, sab1y3, just as an extra, if you have any French words on an English page use for example <SPAN lang="fr"> Au revoir </SPAN> to help search engines index your site.<br />
:)<!--content-->

Back