Best method for tagging conditional content in XML

FredBauder

I store my content in XML (docbook). I have a need to mark portions of content that are specific to a given output, for a example just Website A and usually (but not always) an equivalent portion for other outputs. 90% of the content applies everywhere, therefore:1. No mark/tag on the above 90% as it seems unnecessary and would increase verbosity greatly.2. Currently we're using the built-in Docbook condition attribute and ideally we'd prever to keep to single value attributes (docbook XSL supports space separated list in that attribute, much like HTML class attribute but it seems overly complex)Ideally I am hoping to gather best practices from different areas of expertise, for example build configuration files, where some parts may be optional or Apache configuration files (especially .htaccess approach of "+" and "-" overrides comes to mind).Like I mentioned earlier 90% of the content requires no conditional tagging, probably another 8% is equivalent portions in the form "Product_A" vs "everything_else" (we use ID/IDREF to link such portions) and the remaining 2% is product specific portions with no equivalent.Given the above an ideal solution would be one that does not require updating all XML everytime we come up with a new product and a clever, non-verbose solution for marking "everything_else".Any comments are welcome!

Back