Backbone.js with XML response - parse function not called before parse error

insupsnep

I'm using Backbone.js to structure an application that usually communicates with web services via JSON.One web service will return JSON on success or XML in an error (clever, huh?). I need to parse this XML response to determine the error, but Backbone's JSON-centric thinking is causing me problems.I have a collection that includes a parse function. The parse function is always called when the service returns JSON, and in this case I simply return the response object. However, when the service returns XML my fetch call's error callback function is called, and passed an error object with \[code\]arguments[1]\[/code\] of \[code\]parseerror\[/code\]. Further digging shows there was an unexpected \[code\]<\[/code\] character.Why is my parse function not being called to parse the XML before a parseerror is thrown? Furthermore - why, in the successful JSON calls, is it passed a JavaScript object (indicating that the JSON string has already been parsed)? Isn't the parse function supposed to do the parsing?Relevant code below, any suggestions much appreciated.\[code\]var myCollection = Backbone.Collection.extend({initialize : function() { ...},fetch: function(options) { var options = {data: {...}, error: this.onFetchError}; Backbone.Collection.prototype.fetch.call(this, options);},onFetchError: function(arg1, arg2, arg3) { debugger},parse: function(response) { debugger if(typeof response === 'object') { return response; }}});return myCollection;\[/code\]

Back