Assigning a function's result to a variable within a PHP class? OOP Weirdness

Danielle

EDIT: Question Answered. Thanks deceze!I know you can assign a function's return value to a variable and use it, like this:\[code\]function standardModel(){ return "Higgs Boson"; }$nextBigThing = standardModel();echo $nextBigThing;\[/code\]So someone please tell me why the following doesn't work? Or is it just not implemented yet? Am I missing something?\[code\]class standardModel{ private function nextBigThing() { return "Higgs Boson"; } public $nextBigThing = $this->nextBigThing(); }$standardModel = new standardModel;echo $standardModel->nextBigThing; // get var, not the function directly\[/code\]I know I could do this:\[code\]class standardModel{ // Public instead of private public function nextBigThing() { return "Higgs Boson"; }}$standardModel = new standardModel;echo $standardModel->nextBigThing(); // Call to the function itself\[/code\]But in my project's case, all of the information stored in the class are predefined public vars, except one of them, which needs to compute the value at runtime.I want it consistent so I nor any other developer using this project has to remember that one value has to be function call rather then a var call.But don't worry about my project, I'm mainly just wondering why the inconsistency within PHP's interpreter?Obviously, the examples are made up to simplify things. Please don't question "why" I need to put said function in the class. I don't need a lesson on proper OOP and this is just a proof of concept. Thanks!

Back