ASP.Net what do I need to get this running?

liunx

Hi all,

I have a Win 2k server with IIS loaded. I have web shared a root directory on one drive. What else do I need to do to learn ASP.Net programming? I bought the book "Instant ASP.NET Applications" and can't get anything to run. The progs that came with the book on a CD wont go into Front Page, and when I load them into Notepad and amend them, I still cant get them up and running.

Do I need a compiler? If so, where can I get a freebie - if possible?

Any other settings I need to make or software I need to have?

Thanks guys (and gals).

John (Frustrated biker):bash:Well..i'm nto sure what to tell you other than you need VS.NET to make them work. Especially if they are project files.Ryan,

Many thanks. Where do I get VS.Net from?Any place that sells major software (BestBuy, Circuit City, etc..). It is not cheap though....last I checked it was about $400-$500. The price may have decreased, but I think that is a good representation of the range.PHEW!

Thanks Ryan. It is expensive just to use to learn ASP at home! Are there no other cheaper solutions? I can't afford that.

Cheers JohnAnother thing I just thought of is that you also need the .NET framework installed on your machine. You may be able to acquire this through windows update or somewhere on the MS website. This may not solve all your problems, but it is worth a shot.

As far as cheaper solutions..none that I am aware of that are legal.Ryan,

Many thanks. I will see what I can sort out. If I just try and learn ASP will I need VS.NET and teh .NET framework?

John

Back