Apostrophe CMS: Hosting questions + feasible to get into without Symfony experience?

lenny

I am looking for a clean, well-built CMS. I want to migrate a number of sites away from a self-built CMS which I will not be developing further. I've come across Apostrophe and instantly fell in love with the great, integrated user interface. It is based on the Symfony framework, which I have practically no experience with.My questions:
  • I am planning to deploy sites I build with this CMS on shared hosting packages which do not offer any command line access. I know that many of Symfony's development and maintenance functions rely on command line access to the \[code\]symfony\[/code\] script. Is it feasible to deploy an Apostrophe-based web site to such a web host, or is access to the command line tools required for a live product on a regular basis?
  • To be very honest, I'm not really keen on learning Symfony in depth right now: I'm sure it's a great framework, but I have tons of other obligations. I just really like what Apostrophe offers to the end user of the CMS. In your opinion as a seasoned Symfony or even Apostrope developer, will a professional PHP developer be able to set up a web site (without much customization on the code end - lots on the front-end, but that's a different matter) without being a Symfony expert? Or is this a recipe for disaster?
  • Are there any other arguments that, from your experience, speak for or against using Apostrophe in my situation?

Back