Annoying little TD not sizing nicely.

liunx

My new page is made up entirely of tables, which I hope isn't too big of a suprise to most, and the menu on the left has problems. In 800x600 resolution, it is one pixel to wide and I can't seem to get it smaller. Also, in 1024x768, the menu stays perfectly fine, but the TD it is nested in gets stretched. I realize it is definatly having something to do with me using percents somewhere I shouldn't have. So can anyone help tame this annoying little menu <TD>?<br />
<br />
Oh, sorry, I almost forgot, the URL for the site is a temporary location @<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://jasonwebb.0catch.com/test/test.html">http://jasonwebb.0catch.com/test/test.html</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
Thanks!<!--content-->you have that td in there thats 77% wide, try making it 100% wide, and in the top of your table for the menu, put an image thats 177px wide.<!--content-->ok a few changes. you have to use pixels instead of percent. change the 2 100% to 170 and then the 77% to 630<br />
like this:<br />
<br />
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=170 bgColor=white border=0><br />
<TBODY><br />
<TR><br />
<TD vAlign=top width="170"><BR><br />
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="176" bgColor=cornsilk<br />
border=0><br />
<br />
<TD width=1 bgColor=gold></TD><br />
<TD vAlign=top width="630"><br />
<br />
so you see where I am talking? also although this is going to be a nice site and you worked hard on it and before you get to far, those mouse overs will not work in NS4.xx. some of the tables will not work in NS, as it has to have something in the to render. check it out in NS4.xx and you will see it looks pretty bad.<!--content-->That doesn't make any sense, a 176 pixels wide table inside a 170 pixels wide cell....<br />
<br />
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=170 bgColor=white border=0> <br />
<TBODY> <br />
<TR> <br />
<TD vAlign=top width="170"><BR> <br />
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="176" bgColor=cornsilk <br />
border=0><br />
<br />
run your html code through an html validator and see if it helps you spot the problem, there are errors in the html code, one of those errors is causing the little bit of extra spacing between the left navigation cell and the right content cell. Could be an extra or unclosed cell, or improper spanning of rows. The code is so tortured though its nearly impossible to detect the problem.<br />
<br />
Extreme over-use of embedded tables, there is no reason to have to use so many tables for such a simple layout. Pratically every table cell contains an embedded table!<!--content-->I know kevin, it is very strange and I agree 100%. but I am pretty sure it is that 77% cell that is messing everything up. if he runs it through the validator he won't like what the outcome is. although it sounds strange, it does work.<!--content-->ok, im going to try the pixel's thing now, but I had no idea it didn't work in NS4, because the only version of nutscrape I have is 6.0, and I haven't tried it because its so stupid, but I really have no choice. About the tables, thats the only way I can get most of that stuff to work, because I'm trying to wing it all haha. Thanks for the tons of help! As for the validator, I have no idea what a validator does, but I tried out the WSC one (I hope you know what I mean), and it said just about every line was wrong, so I'm pretty well screwed right now.<!--content-->

Back