Android, mysql, and rendering non Latin Characters as well as Latin?

Submiss

Are these squares a representation of chinese characters being turned into unicode? EDIT:[Here I entered the squares with numbers inside them into the post but they didn't render]I'd like to either turn this back into the original characters when displayed in android (or to enable mysql to just store them as chinese characters not in unicode???)\[code\]BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(is, "UTF-8"), 8);\[/code\]While debugging it shows the strings value as "\u001a\u001a\u001a\u001a"\[code\] byte[] bytes = chinesestringfromdatabase.getBytes();\[/code\]turns it into "[26, 26, 26, 26]"\[code\]String fresh = new String(bytes, "UTF-8");\[/code\]and then this turns it back intoEDIT:[Here I entered the squares with numbers inside them into the post but they didn't render]My phone can display chinese text.MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8) While typing my question I realize that perhaps I have the wrong charset all together.I'm lost as to whether or not my issue will even be anything coding related or if it is just related to a setting or if php cannot handle the character set??I'd like to store and render multiple language character sets that could contain a mixture of languages.

Back