Advise needed on navigation placements

liunx

Hello, Im working on a school project, its to create a website about technology from 1400s > 1900s. I have a basic idea of the layout here: <br />
<br />
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.johnmai.com/wco/">www.johnmai.com/wco/</a><!-- w --> <br />
<br />
but Im stuck on where to place the navigation (4 buttons) and timeline. Any advise is appreciated! <br />
<br />
-john<!--content-->Hi John,<br />
<br />
There's not really enough of the site there to see anything.<br />
<br />
A friend of mine is working on some content for a site I'll be creating that will require a time line also. I think I've envisaged a time line in the centre of the page for that.<br />
<br />
Jon<!--content-->Yes, I also agree with Jon. A timeline/ navigation that runs from left to right, in the center of the screen would be nice. Above the timeline could be text, below pics. something basic... maybe:<!--content-->Awesome I think I'll do something like that. Thanks for the replies! :)<!--content-->One more thing-<br />
<br />
Ive decided I would place atimeline in the middle, and when the user clicks a date or event the correseponding info and pictures would appear at the top and bottom. Is this possible? Or should I just create a seperate page for all events? Also Ive seen sites with frames that are in the middle of the page.. how do they do that?<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
john<!--content-->Sounds like you might want frames. A framed site can be split into sections, each update-able seperately. Be warned, it's a little more complicated than TABLES and other eays-html-stuff, but not impossible.<br />
<br />
You could divide the page into three sections, and when you click parts of the middle frame, the text and pics frames could update accordingly.<br />
--------------------<br />
| text |<br />
|------------------|<br />
| |<br />
| main |<br />
| |<br />
|------------------|<br />
| pics |<br />
--------------------<!--content-->Originally posted by postitlord <br />
Sounds like you might want frames. A framed site can be split into sections, each update-able seperately. Be warned, it's a little more complicated than TABLES and other eays-html-stuff, but not impossible. <br />
<br />
I did decide to use frames, but opted for iFrames instead.<!--content-->Eck. iFrames. What, don't like Netscape users?<br />
<br />
I don't think you can click something in an IFrame and change the page surrounding it... you may have to use frames to do what you want, or fancy IE5.5+ exclusive javascript...<!--content-->Well I dont need it to change the page around it, i just need it to go down to a certain point down the page. And the timeline is very long, but I want it in the middle of the interface, so regular frames is outta the question. I could use a layer... that would enable scrolling...any thoughts on layers? <br />
<br />
You'll see what I mean on the site, and click on any century.<!--content-->first off, frames can easily do this. You can get a scrolling DHTML menu for the 'timeline' navigation. check <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dhtmlcentral.com">www.dhtmlcentral.com</a><!-- w --> . He has a side scrolling menu that would be perfect.<br />
<br />
you could just as easy put this into tables and do it done page at a time.<!--content-->

Back