Adding new items to drop down box

liunx

I am developing a data entry page for a database. One of the items on the page is a drop down box which shows a list of elements (FK values from a table).<br />
<br />
The requirement is that, if the users did not find what they want, they should be able to add a new item(and someother details regarding this FK value) and come back to the data entry screen. The dropdown box should now show new values. After filling in rest of values, they should be able to submit the form! <br />
<br />
I do not want users just to type-in a new list value. They should check out all the values. The last value is (hardcoded) 'Add a new value'. I do not want to refresh the whole page, as the users might have entered a lot of data before coming to this box and don't want them to loose all. I hate to save them in a temp table just for adding a new item.... <br />
<br />
I am using ASP/VBscript/JavaScript and HTML. <br />
Don't want to use Frames. IFRAMES, probably yes.. <br />
<br />
Anyhelp is appreciated..<br />
<br />
Thanks<br />
<br />
Sreedhar<!--content-->Is this going to be saved when the user comes back in say a day or two? You should definatly use a server side language and I do reccomend using a data base if you are saving the values.<!--content-->Yes the new data will have to be added to the database. The drop down box for example, might be customer contact type. When they are entering the data, they can choose one of the choices listed or choose a to add a new contact type. This has to be added into the list box (and of course to database), immediately after user enters the new information.<br />
<br />
I am thinking of poping up a new screen to enter the data for this reference value, save it in database and come back to my main screen, with rest of the data entered as it is, but choice showing the new addtions too. Not sure how to do it, tho`<br />
<br />
I guess since I am very new to web page development, I am having all these problems.. hitting the limitations and not knowing/implementing the tricks of the trade:confused:<!--content-->well why use a new screen? You could just code this whole thing in one page and swap the visibility of the elements on the server side causing the page to refresh and thus the data would refresh. What exactly is the new window accomplishing exactly that you could not do without it?<!--content-->

Back