A Small XML Modifier

Stommadareese

My company is partnered with another company that provides us various flash gauges that we use and integrate with our software. These gauges use XML files for configuration, that aren't terribly large, but not intuitive to someone who doesn't know exactly what they're looking at. I've taken it on myself to develop something small that I can provide our customers and employees that configure this software that would utilize some form of GUI interface, however simple, that can be used to modify these XML files and then save them, client side. The idea is that this could be slipped into the package that is installed on-site, opened locally, and used.We currently have a local html page that shows all the gauges functioning and is stored in the install package so that customers can pick which gauges they want to use. This led me initially to look into just extending this html page to provide the functionality I'm looking for. Through various research on the XML/HTML DOM and some JavaScript, I've realized that while I could do the manipulations I wish to do, there isn't a way to get this modified XML doc to the client's machine without installing another piece of software, such as PHP.What I'm looking for is either someone to inform me that I'm way off base and that there is a clean way of using HTML/JavaScript/XML to do what I'm trying to do (I know this is most likely a pipe dream, but still desirable), or guidance on what language this would be implementable in with a small size footprint. The current package we install is only about 26mb for reference. I don't mind doing further research, this is really just a starting/planning step for feasibility's sake. So the hope is that I don't have to install any new software on the client machine, and this can be implemented on a local machine with no server-side interaction for minimal space.Thanks all in advance for feedback. It is much appreciated.

Back